Formulated over the last 100 years, Shiatsu is a traditional Japanese massage technique which uses rhythmic pressure on specific points of the body. Although it has roots in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), modern Shiatsu also incorporates Japanese traditional medical therapies like acupuncture and anma massage. “Shiatsu” is literally Japanese for “finger press” and it is growing in popularity around the world.
Shiatsu massage therapists work to stimulate certain points of the body and the main aim is to promote the flow of vital energy which is known as “chi”. If you’re feeling tired or stressed, undergoing a shiatsu massage can be deeply relaxing. It is known to relieve stress, headaches, insomnia, menstrual problems as well as reduce muscle stiffness, joint pain and a stiff neck. Shiatsu also helps to aid digestion and increase energy levels.
Here are some ways you can massage yourself using Shiatsu techniques:
To relieve migraine or headache
To relief lower back pain
1. Place all four fingers of both hands on the top of your buttocks on both sides of your waist (where your back ends). Your thumbs should point outwards.
2. Apply pressure for 5 seconds and then finger-walk up the back. Stop at each point and firmly press it for 5 seconds.
3. For best results, perform this massage 5 to 10 times twice a day.
To relieve insomnia
1. Fold down the fingers of your left palm. Use your right thumb to press the inner corner of your left wrist for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Switch hands and repeat the massage.
To aid digestion and improve bowel movement
To relieve stress and anxiety
1. Place your right thumb in the middle of your left palm and apply pressure for 30 to 60 seconds.
2. Using your right hand, pull all fingers of your left hand downwards. Stretch for 5 seconds and then release.
3. Place your right thumb in your left palm and vigorously stroke it for 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Flip your left hand over (palm facing down) and massage the top of your wrist in a circular motion for 30 to 60 seconds.
5. Switch hands after this. For best results, perform this massage twice a day.
To relieve menstrual cramps
With reference from: